Sunday 6 February 2011

February Verses - Some thoughts on 3.27

These are some of my thoughts on the verses from the Gita chosen for the February meeting.

Firstly, the overall 'gist' of the passage is duty, why it is important to perform ones duty, and how one should approach that duty.

Verse 27 tells us that

"He whose mind is confused by egoism imagines 'I am the doer', whereas in fact all actions are carried out by the three qualities of nature."

So the concept of 'I am the doer' is an imagination of the ego. The ego is the little self, the 'I' who I mean when I think 'I am typing this blog'. So whenever that I thinks 'I am doing...' anything, then that is an imagining of the 'I' itself. Really, 'I' am not doing anything, and 'I' never can. Events are occurring, events are unfolding, and the sense that 'I' am responsible for any of those events is an egotistical illusion. In truth 'I' is not capable of 'doing' anything (for confirmation of this, just ask my wife!).

So, 'in fact, all actions are carried out by the three qualities of nature'. Hmmm. I'm not sure that's a good translation. I think the translator has imposed a Sankhya interpretation where it is not appropriate. The Verse in the Gita says:

"prakriteh kriyamaanaani
gunaih karmaani sarvasaha
ahankaara vimoohaatmaa
kartaaham iti manyate"

Word for literal, this is:

"ordinary-state honourable-operation
quality engaged-in all-enduring
ego free-self
I-doer so believe"

The important point here is that the word gunaih does not carry any connotation of 'three'. Often in yoga, we think of Sattvas Rajas and Tamas whenever the gunas are mentioned. In fact, this interpretation of the Gunas is quite specifically belonging to the Sankhya philosophy. Whilst Sankhya is mentioned in and treated by the Gita, it is not the overriding philosophy of the Gita, which is Yogic and Puranic.

In Yogic and Puranic philosphy, the term Gunas more classically applies to the five gunas as represented by the tattwas: akasha, vayu, tejas, apas, prithivi (spirit, air, fire, water, earth). In other passages where the Sankhya gunas are the intended meaning, they are described explicitly as tribhirguna: 'three sided gunas', or 'triple aspect gunas'.

I personally find it easier to understand this verse as saying that all actions are carried out by these elemental gunas, rather than being carried out by the abstract sankhya gunas. But maybe I am wrong?

The next verse states that if you understand the relationship between these gunas and action, then you are freed from attachment. I have a take on that, and hope to get a chance to blog about it in the next couple of days...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. It's nice to know someone is reading.

I moderate all comments, so you won't see it immediately. I do endeavour to read and publish comments within a day or two.

Hari Om!